Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Are Molly Shannon and Paulette Goddard related?

I watched the Charlie Chaplin movie Modern Times recently, and I was struck by the similarity between Paulette Goddard and Molly Shannon. They looked similar, and their characters acted similarly as well. Maybe it was the way the Gamin character in Modern Times danced and leapt wildly that reminded me of Shannon's characters on Saturday Night Live.

As for the movie, it was good though I didn't enjoy it as much as other Chaplin movies. The set pieces were pretty funny and well executed. However, the Little Tramp character was too bumbling to hold my sympathy throughout. The epitome of his incompetence was when he worked as a mechanic's assistant and managed to get the mechanic jammed into some machinery. I still laughed, which is probably what counts.

No comments: